Sunday, November 13, 2011

Lessons Learned and Our Newest Ventures!

So far, everything has been going smoothly. We have run into a few bumps in the road though... One weekend, I was extremely busy, and another I was just not feeling well, so I didn't get all the baking done. Those weekends, I bought bread. What this has taught me is that I need to both plan ahead a little better, and plan for the unexpected.

So, how do you plan for the unexpected when it comes to baking? Simple, have some bread that you've made stored away in the freezer, and prep some extra cookie dough and do the same. That will eliminate the prep time (and in the case of the bread - all the baking time too) and make it even something the husband or kids can help out with.

Baking has been our primary change. The other has been a slight limit on the dinner meals. My husband is sort-of bored with the quick evening recipes. So, now part of my mission is to come up with 365 different recipes for dinner entrees, snacks, desserts, breakfast dishes and side dishes. Lunches are pretty consistent sandwiches for the kids and salads for the grown-ups, and I don't think I should add to much variation here, because that might otherwise overly complicate our on-the-go life.

We have however, recently decided to try out our local Organic Co-op, The Neighborhood Garden (www.jaxorganic.com) . I found one in the area that seems like it will be a perfect fit for us, as we are not obligated to purchase from them every week, and it isn't expensive at all. The goal of utilizing the co-op for us is to sort-of force us to incorporate more vegetables into our meals. The challenge will be getting the kids to eat their vegetables, but I plan on doing some research and experiments there (like Zucchini Pancakes). I of course, will post all of my experiments and their results here.

I will also post some of my recipe plans, including our weekly lunch salads based on the co-op's offerings. For example, this week, I plan on making an Italian Green Butter Leaf and Arugula Italian Salad. See Below:


Italian Green Butter Leaf and Arugula Salad
Ingredients:
  • 1-2 heads green butter leaf lettuce, washed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 bunch baby arugula, washed and dried
  • 1/3 cup sliced raw almonds
  • 4 ounces shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 4 ounces Asiago cheese
  • 3 ounces bacon bits (we of course will make our own)
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Juice of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons)
  • Sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2-3 Roma Tomatoes
  • 1 small red onion, sliced
  • 4 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and sliced

Directions:

Combine the lettuce, tomatoes, bacon bits, arugula, almonds and the 4 ounces of Asiago cheese in a large salad bowl; toss gently.

Drizzle enough oil over the salad (to taste) to thoroughly coat but not saturate the greens. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the salad, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently yet thoroughly.

Divide among individual plates and garnish with shavings of Parmesan cheese and slices of hard-boiled egg.



No comments:

Post a Comment