Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Our Local Co-op


Like most parents, I’m sure you too try to eat healthy and lead a healthy lifestyle and provide great healthy meals for your family, on a budget.  I've been talking to neighbors and friends lately about the co-op I belong to, because I love it so much.  As it turns out, few people know that we even have a local co-op, so I thought I'd dedicate a blog post to it (I know I've mentioned it in passing too, but it is more than worthy of an entire blog post).

The Neighborhood Garden doesn't have any sign-up fees (the "fee" is the donation of 2 reusable grocery bags), it's flexible - you don't have to order every week, it's inexpensive and there is always a great selection of ORGANIC produce!!  Oh, and if you can't make it to pick-up (I pick up at Durbin Creek Elementary on Monday at 5p), in some locations you can have it delivered for an extra $5 (I did this when I was working). 

This past Monday I received the following (a full-bag) for $33 (half bags are also available):

6oz Blueberries
2 Tangelos
3 Peaches
1 bunch Bananas (about 3 pounds)
2 Alexander Lucas Pears
Green Leaf Lettuce
5 Yukon Gold Potatoes
Green Peppers
Broccoli
1lb. Carrots
2 Roma Tomatoes
2 Yellow Onions

I also ordered the following:

3lb. bag Fuji Apples $5.50
Pineapple $4.50

We use the fruit for breakfast and snacks.  I am eating salads for lunch, and as you can see above, I have two vegetables for the week. 

This may be for you, and it may not, but I wanted to share.  Oh, and feel free to spread the word, because not only do I think it's a great deal (my grocery bill has decreased and I'm making healthier food choices, like salad) , but each week at least 3 families in need receive a free bag of fresh produce! 

If you're not one of my local friends, I strongly encourage seeing if you have a local co-op or even starting one of your own!  It's well worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment