Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Summer Veggies

It has been a little while since I last blogged.  As you all can tell from my "announcements" that I posted, I had a baby.  That left little time for blogging.  Mason is two months old now, so although we are still sleepless, we are falling into a little bit more of a normal routine.

Now that it's summer, there are so many WONDERFUL VEGGIES, which is great, because I've decided to go vegetarian.  As much as I love the taste of meat, I think I felt better not eating it.  I don't want to "torture" (that's what my husband calls it) the rest of my family by not including meat at dinner time, but I am determined to add more vegetables to everyone's diet - especially the kid's.

One of my favorite summer vegetables is yellow squash.  Thus far, I have breaded and fried them, but a healthier option is to make Squash Tots.  The best part about Squash Tots is they are kid approved.

This basically is a twist on my zucchini pancakes, and it compliments barbeque dishes very well.

Squash Tots

1 squash, grated
1 potato grated
1 egg
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste (I also add a little garlic and onion powder)

Preheat oven to 400F.  Grate the zucchini and potato then place in a dish towel to squeeze out the excess water.  In a bowl combine, the egg, onion, cheese, bread crumbs, zucchini, potato, salt and pepper. Grease a mini muffin pan.  Fill the muffin cups to the top. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the top is brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment